A new report into ‘independent professionals’ (I-Pros) working in Europe shows that the number of European freelancers has grown by over 80% since 2000.
The study, published by Stéphane Rapelli on behalf of the European Forum of Independent Professionals (EFIP), shows that while the number of standard employees stagnated over the past decade, the number of freelancers has risen by 82%.
The top 4 freelance nations by numbers of I-Pros, according to the report, are:
Italy – 1.69m
UK – 1.61m
Germany – 1.53m
France – 0.73m
Many of these freelancers work in technical, scientific and professional areas, although there are major differences between countries. 53% are educated to degree level, and 61% are aged between 25 and 49.
Of more interest, perhaps, is the change in freelance numbers over the past three years, since the economic downturn hit the continent.
The number of freelancers has boomed in certain states – notably France (up 36%), the UK (up 25%), and Germany (up 24%), but has declined in Italy (down 1%) and Spain (down 9%).
John Brazier, the MD of PCG (the UK contractors’ organisation), and president of EFIP commented:
“Having access to freelancers in an economy provides flexibility, value and minimises risk to businesses. This is important when times are good but when times are bad, these factors become the difference between success and failure.”
You can download a PDF copy of the report here.
Find out more about PCG, the contractors’ organisation here.
- How many freelancers are there in the UK?
- World of freelancing to be celebrated on film
- How long will recovery in demand for public sector IT contractors last?
- ClearSky Accounting - specialist support for contractors
- Visit Hiscox for Professional Indemnity and Business Liability Insurance
- Contractor Finance - up to £30,000, when you need it
- InTouch Contractor Accountants - Personal Online Accounting
- Join PCG - Free impartial start-up advice for contractors.
- Visit Qdos Consulting for tax investigation cover and IR35 insurance.
- 90% Pay Retention for Contractors - Helix Management Ltd